Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:05:55 -0800
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Joe Altman <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE w/ SanDisk ImageMate S11202

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Joe Altman <freebsd@chthonixia.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:19:25PM -0800, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> > I have a PCI Express card with VIA VL800 chipset which seems to work
> > OK with a Seagate drive, so I presume the interface is working.
>
> I think my question is relevant:
>
> Does the working drive mean that you have the proper USB bits in your
> kernel?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html
>
> 19.5.1 Configuration
> If you use a custom kernel, be sure that the following lines are present
> in your kernel configuration file:
>
> device scbus <==
> device da    <==
> device pass  <+=
> device uhci
> device ohci
> device ehci
> device usb
> device umass <==
>
> I don't see them mentioned below.
>
> > > If I boot with a SanDisk ImageMate S11202 plugged into the USB 3.0
> card,
> > > the display shows messages about the SanDisk device, appears to
> properly
> > > identify it, and with like 'querying ...' slots on the card reader,
> which
> > > all fail - (there are no cards in the reader). Then the machine sails
> into
> > > outerspace, kind of just sits there until (perhaps) the end of time, or
> > > until I kill the power. It never gets the network interface up, so no
> ssh.
>
> > > kernel built with:
> > >
> > > device        ahci        # AHCI-compatible SATA controllers
> > > device        uhci        # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> > > device        ohci        # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> > > device        ehci        # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
> > > device        xhci        # XHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 3.0)
>
> General question:
>
> The man page is ambiguous to me; does it mean that one only needs xhci
> for all three versions, or must one specify all?
>
> DESCRIPTION
>      The xhci driver provides support for the USB eXtensible Host
>      Controller Interface, which allows use of USB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0
>      devices on the same USB port.
>
> Such that xhci can handle *all* such USB devices?
>
> Also, ahci has a number of sysctl knobs for interrupts. Maybe that is a
> path to resolving the issue?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

Hi,

yes i have those options in the kernel config

# ATA/SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for ATA/SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct ATA/SCSI
access)
device          ses             # Enclosure Services (SES and SAF-TE)
device          ctl             # CAM Target Layer

# USB support
options         USB_DEBUG       # enable debug msgs
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          xhci            # XHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 3.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices (needs
netgraph)
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
#device         ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
#device         urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player

I have turned off usb printer, double bulk pipe device, and all the usb
wireless and ethernet interfaces.

# camcontrol devlist
<WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 05.01D05>   at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<ATAPI DVD A  DH16A6S YA17>        at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
<hp CDDVDW SH-216BB HE30>          at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (pass2,cd1)
<SanDisk uSD SDDR-289 1.00>        at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,da0)
<SanDisk MS SDDR-289 1.00>         at scbus5 target 0 lun 1 (pass4,da1)
<SanDisk SD SDDR-289 1.00>         at scbus5 target 0 lun 2 (pass5,da2)
<SanDisk CF SDDR-289 1.00>         at scbus5 target 0 lun 3 (pass6,da3)
<WD My Book 1110 1030>             at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass7,da4)
<WD Virtual CD 1110 1030>          at scbus6 target 0 lun 1 (pass8,cd2)
<WD SES Device 1030>               at scbus6 target 0 lun 2 (ses0,pass9)

I am not trying to boot "from" the memory stick, just boot when the usb
card reader is plugged into the usb3 interface. When it is not plugged in
it's fast reboot, when it's plugged in it takes like 20 minutes.

The SanDisk device is supposedly usb3.0, but i agree it's curious thing
about the 1.0 listed in the camcontrol device list...

I see what you are saying about the manual. AFAIK you need uhci/ohci for
usb 1.0, ehci for 2.0 and xhci for 3.0, but i have not tried disabling the
uhci/ohci/ehci to see what happens. I run 10.0-CURRENT on my laptop, I seem
to remember there was a time when I could not plug 2.0 devices into 3.0
slot but that works now. At the time when I was experimenting with that it
seemed like it would 'switch' from xhci to ehci depending on the type of
device plugged in, and that wasn't happening (then).. it does work now so
something obviously updated in HEAD, but it's been awhile since i've messed
around with it.

I am going to get another 3.0 card reader. When I went to frys the other
night the sandisk was the only choice. Also the via chipset was the only
choice at frys. (I've read other posts claiming the via chipset can be
flakey, that NEC is much better, but so far I haven't noticed any problems
(in a couple days, anyway - it's true i haven't yet tried to push a bunch
of data through it)) ...  i don't think it's the pci interface causing my
slow boot problem. Might have to find one on ebay or newegg.

What I intend to do is get four card readers, and gut them and mount them
into a single carriage, so I can read 4 SD/SDHC cards simultaneously, or at
least put all four in and have the machine grab the data from each one
automatically. So I don't have to get up! This would save me alot of time,
since I typically use 4 cards when I film a 2 hour show. When you're doing
this several times a week the time adds up, and i don't have alot of extra
time.

Thanks for your help.

Waitman

--