Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:01:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/35142: Portupgrade Suggestion: indicate portupgrade on make command line

>Number:         35142
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Portupgrade Suggestion: indicate portupgrade on make command line
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD pr0n.kutulu.org 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #3: Mon Feb 4 12:42:04 EST 2002 root@pr0n.kutulu.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PR0N i386

Certain ports (thinking specifically of mysql, but likely many others) require specific options to be set when upgrading vs.
installing clean.  For example, when running portupgrade on mysql-server, it always fails because the database exists.  You
must specify --make-env="SKIP_INSTALL_DB=yes" on the portupgrade command line.

This specific case of a port requiring makefile options to cleanly run through portupgrade seems (IMHO) to be a likely
enough occurance that portupgrade and the port Makefiles could handle it specifically.

>How-To-Repeat:
portupgrade mysql*server*

>Fix:
I would suggest that portupgrade always set some specific variable when it runs the make command line, eg:

make PORTUPGRADING=1 install

That way, port maintainers, if they choose, could include

.if defined(PORTUPGRADING)
 (do stuff here)
.endif

This would have no effect on existing ports but would allow port maintainers moving forward to integrate much more smoothly
with portupgrade.