Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:58:27 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X server has "too many" colors?

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 12:53:38PM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	I am trying to run a vendor supplied X task displaying on my FreeBSD
> 	machine. My FreeBSD machine is configured for 64K colors. The app keeps
> 	core dumping :-(
>
> 	The vendor swears that I have "To Many Colors", and that it will run if
> 	I reduce my colors to 256. I really don;t want to reduce the colors to
> 	this.
>
> 	Does this make any sense? How could to many colors cause a problem? I
> 	could see too fwe, but to many?

Yes, it does make sense. "coloredit" and "flying" from the ports have
exacly the same problem. Both core dump with messages like "Cannot
get enough colormap entries", when running 16.7M colours!!!.

It seems they are written to used palettes (indexed colour maps)
and won't run without them.

When I asked about this problem someone said that such programs
are "badly written". I guess they originate from the days when 16
colours was the norm and 256 was high-end stuff.