Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hcremean@vt.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

Hi Greg Lehey;  On 08-Sep-97 you wrote:
>  On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 03:46:35PM +1000, Mike Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> PS: When did the first voice-coil-seek hard drives come out? This is a
> >> question that's been bugging me for some time now...
> >
> > Linear or rotary actuator?
>
>  I'd always equated "voice coil" with linear actuators.  I'd guess the
>  early 70s.  We installed the first UNIVAC 8440s in 1973.  I think they
>  were voice coil.  They looked like 3330 copies.
>
> > The linear VC actuator probably predates the use of stepper motors;
>
>  I'd think so.  The stepper motors wouldn't have got into hard drives
>  until about the ST-506.

The 26MB Shugart 14" drive had stepper and AC spinfle motor on a long belt.

>  Greg

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 08-Sep-97, 14:19:04
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313