Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:54:09 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Use a Daemon as a Symbol since it alienates many?

Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
> 	I think you are missing the whole point here. Let me make it a little
> more clear to you. Suppose we ask this question to two different types
> of people "Hey, what do you think about Beastie? What does it remind you
> of?" and show them Beastie. First group is FreeBSD users or users that
> know this litle cute, and as you claim "daemon", second group is the the
> wide majority of people that know nothing about PCs and hardly even use
> Windblows. I wonder what do u think each group will respond to this
> question?
>
> Regards,
> Lefteris

*snip*

I just tested this on a very small (3 people) group that has no
idea what FreeBSD is, and hardly knows how to operate any kind of
computer other then to check their hotmail account.
2 of them were girls, and both found the daemon cute. One of them
guessed it was the mascot for a sportsteam of some kind and the
other was pretty sure she had seen that mascot on TV, in some
kind of japanese cartoon. The third, a guy, guessed it was from a
Counter Strike or Quake clan or similar, but was in no way
offended by it.
When I revealed what it actually was, one of the girls asked why
a computer OS used a demon as a logo. I explained that it was not
a demon but a daemon, but she didnt really seem to care. To her,
it was a demon, and if a OS wanted to have a demon as mascot it
was not her problem. None of them seemed offended or scared by
the fact that FreeBSD uses a daemon.