Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 15:03:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help - No htonq, ntohq

John Birrell, On 04-Sep-98 you wrote:
>  Simon Shapiro wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a clean, portable way to support binary
> > competability on
> > 64bit integers between an Alpha and IA?
>
>  int64_t & u_int64_t

These give source compatability.  I need binary compatability.  Let me
expand;  I am working on a new High Availability, large scale file server.
The entire server stores all numeric data as 64bit quantities (the decision
to do so is a bit outside the scope of this note :-).  Part of the HAS
concept is integral support for clustering. I.E.  Multiple nodes/hosts can
concurrently access the same physical filesystem.  To ensure portability, I
need to store these values in a universal format.

> > We have hton{l,s} but these are good only for 16 & 32 bit values.
>
>  I think hton{l,s} should be kept strictly for _network_ code.

See my comment above.  You can view my need as a network need :-)

> > What is the exact Alpha byte order?  12345678, 87654321, 43218765, ...
>                                         ^^^^^^^^
>  Little endian.

Thanx!  Gone are the VAX orders, then...

Simon