Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "e l l e :)" <suzuki@soda.csua.berkeley.edu>
To:        suzuki@csua.berkeley.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD install

Maybe you can help me re: FreeBSD install.

So I want to put in FreeBSD on my computer (PC) at home.  I got the
kern.flp and mfsroot.flp image copies (via fdimage in dos) after copying
the originals from the web (ftp), and the formatted dos floppies ready for
the
bin directory stuff.  My bios boot sequence reads: A, C, SCSI.  Ok.  I
restart the computer and there's a point in
startup when the screen displays, "hit '^' to boot from floppy."  So I
do that.  This
takes me to some foreign place where it reads, "Hit A to boot from a:"
so I do that, after sticking in the kern.flp floppy in a.  You can tell
that the a: is being read briefly, and then the words, "starting win 95"
shows up on the screen.  Win 95 (my main and only current OS) starts up,
and it seems that the a: kern.flp stuff was totally ignored.

Many have suggested that it may be a faulty floppy.  But I've redone this
3 times on 3 different floppies.

Any advice?

Thanks,
elle

".. the answers one gives to life's crucial questions are never truly
spontaneous; they are the embodiment of years of contextual experience, of the
building of patterns in each of our lives that eventually grow to dominate our
behavior." [p75, The Alienist]