Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:11:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Young <doogie@anet-stl.com>
To:        Andrew Smith <abs4@york.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with 3Com 3CCFE574BT Card

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with a vanilla 3.2-Release + PAO3-19990809 and
> the small patch from Peter Jeremy. This is on a Toshiba 4100XCDT. The
> system boots and ep0 gives an error when pccardd starts:
>
> 	ep0: No connectors or MII.

This appears to be normal, at least on my card (another 3CCFE574BT, 574B).
My patch to support the 574B (in -CURRENT, not PAO) relegates that message
to bootverbose only.

> All network traffic seems extreamly slow, 15 seconds to ping a host
> (and lots of lost packets).  Doing a network trace it apears as if all
> transmitted packets are fine but returned packets are lost by the
> interface.
>
> A telnet connection works very slowly. The IP conversation is valid
> but the laptop is taking an age to process the incoming traffic.

If I'm not mistaken, this is indicative of a bogus interrupt setting (the
card can't signal the computer it has packets, and they pile up waiting
for the computer to just 'notice'). Look for conflicts or other issues.

Fire up "systat", look for your card's IRQ, and then start a ping -f or
something and see if you get a proportional rise in interrupt rate. A
flood ping on my system causes 1500 or more interrupts/sec on the card's
IRQ (10).

Jason Young
accessUS Chief Network Engineer