Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:29:48 -0600 (EST)
From:      Jason Andrew Godfrey <godfreja@acm.cs.uwec.edu>
To:        "A.K" <blorb@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache and Root acount

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, A.K wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Where do I find all my apache files and how do I start it and stop it
> and stuff?

 I don't have apache on my system, so I can't help you there.

> How do I enable telnet access and FTP access for the root user? I know
> this is not smart for security but I don't think any hackers come here
> to attack my 3 PC network.

Edit the file /etc/ttys. It controls the terminals. Add secure to the end
of the ttyp lines. The secure tells the system that uid 0 (root) can log
in on that terminal. I've never tried it on a network tty, but it should
work.

I don't recommend it though. Logging in as a normal user and then su'ing
is a good habit to get into.

> Is there something similar to Pico in FreeBSD? You know the cool little
> editor from Linux?

 You give linux too much credit. Pico was not invented by linux. It is
from the University of Washington.

Anyways, run /stand/sysinstall and install the pine port (in the mail
category.) Pine comes with the editor pico. Or you can cd into
/usr/ports/mail/pine4 and type make install as root.

You should check out the FreeBSD handbook section on ports/packages at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook23.html#25.