Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:38:57 +0100
From:      Aurelien Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PANIC: "Most recently used by bus"

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:43:23AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20021127.003130.15920342.imp@bsdimp.com>
>             "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
> : In message: <20021126192147.GB530@nebula.wanadoo.fr>
> :             Aurelien Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> : : I've got a panic by unplugging my NIC then plugging it again and then=
 doing
> : : a dhclient <interface>. I've attached some informations about the pan=
ic.
> :=20
> : Kill the dhclient after you unplug the interface, but before you plug
> : it back in.

I've killed it before, as always.

>=20
> This can also be caused by a bug in the network driver.  If it failed
> to attach for some reason, but created (and not destroyed) a mutex,
> then the WITNESS code will modify the softc after it has been freed,
> trigging the panic you described.
>=20
> Warner

Yes, I think it's a bug too. I've already unplugged/plugged my NIC in the p=
ast
without any problem (and always with WITNESS enabled) so maybe it's a new b=
ug
introduced recently, but I've not seen any commit about if_ed recently.

-- Aur=E9lien

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--