Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:00:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, dmitry@ssimicro.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t definition is worng

:
:I never understood why it isn't at _least_ made unsigned. This at least
:puts off the 2038 issue until 2106. I may live to see the former, but
:certainly not the latter. :-)

    Historically people compared time stamps by subtracting one from
    another.  If they are unsigned, that breaks horribly (you never get
    a negative result).  Internally there is nothing preventing us from
    treating time_t as an unsigned, er, long.

						-Matt