Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 95 20:30:44 -0800
From:      lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>, Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Larry McVoy <lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com>
Subject:   Re: New lmbench available (fwd)

The FreeBSD numbers are from Russell's Pentium.  The linux numbers are my
486 at home.  They should be slower.  I haven't looked over the new results
yet, there are a *lot* of results pooring in.

: actually the big surprise for me was walking the results and seeing
: freebsd outrunning linux in so many areas on the 100 mhz boxes. I knew
: that it was marginally faster in places but the margin this time (except
: for ctx) was surprising. Also the aix ctx results are interesting: kind of
: shows the advantage of single-address-space operating systems, as opposed
: to the unix model.
:
: It's useful to show freebsd performance at the limit. But it's also
: useful to show it on a plain vanilla 133 mhz box without $$$ boltons.
:
: BTW ttcp on freebsd on 100BT interfaces (SMC) is at about 56 Mhz. These
: are neptune, i understand triton would be better.
:
: ron
:
: Ron Minnich                |Like a knife through Daddy's heart:
: rminnich@earth.sarnoff.com |"Don't make fun of Windows, daddy! It takes care
: (609)-734-3120             | of all my files and it's reliable and I like it".
:
: