Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:39:57 +0200
From:      "Aggelis Aggelis" <aggelis@gmail.com>
To:        "Gorobets Igor" <igoryan@wheel.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp over ssh

On 11/8/06, Gorobets Igor <igoryan@wheel.kiev.ua> wrote:
> Hello. How correctly to adjust this miracle? :-)

from http://forums.serverbeach.com/archive/index.php/t-2179.html

"FTP is insecure. Passwords are sent in plaintext for anyone to snoop.
SFTP is secure, but to use SFTP you generally have to give a user SSH
access. Which is not always desirable.

So, to give a user SFTP access without SSH access, set their shell to
/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server instead of /bin/sh or /bin/bash.

If your sftp-server is not there, use locate sftp-server to find it."

in freebsd sftp-server is located in the /usr/libexec directory.

another solution is to use rssh (meaning restricted ssh)

from rssh faq
"Q: Why did you write this software?

A: Mainly, because the question of how to restrict access to scp or
sftp only kept coming up on a few different mailing lists I was on at
the time... Several people made some suggestions (like using a shell
script as the user's shell) which sort of work, but aren't terribly
secure or reliable. The commercial SSH product has a program to do
this, but OpenSSH does not. Joe Boyle has a similar program called
scponly, which at the time I looked at it had some security problems,
though they have since been fixed... It does currently have some
functionality that rssh does not (namely it works with WinSCP; see
below), and some that it never will have (more on that in a moment).
Obviously I prefer the way I've implemented my program, or else I
wouldn't have written it.   =8^)

I did not write this program for my own use; I do not use it today,
nor have I ever (though obviously I would if the occasion arose). At
the time, I was bored, and I thought this project would be amusing and
educational, as well as fill a gap. Please keep this in mind when
asking for support. Odds are I'll give it pretty quickly if I've got a
free minute, but what you get is what you get, and I won't loose sleep
over slow response time. You've been warned.
"

personaly i prefer the first solution from a security viewpoint
because sftp-server is writen by the openssh team.

Any Comments on the above solutions are welcomed.