Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:49:14 -0700
From:      Chris <snagit@cbpratt.prohosting.com>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC Questions for 6.1 Release

On Sep 12, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> Is there any single source where one can go  to see what has been
>> changed on the various components of the OS.
>

> Go to the source :-)
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/

Wow! That's an excellent resource and the bge driver does have
numerous changes that all dance around or on the same issues. It
appears they've been being addressed for months. Supporting that, two
people have responded and said both a Tyan and several IBMs are
working perfectly with the Broadcom.

Based on the 6.1-RELEASE-p6 AMD64 system I did yesterday (a different
server), I didn't see any of these changes on the source date for
if_bge.c. I'm guessing this has to do with how I cvsup and the fact
that I remain tracking only 6.1-RELEASE. I used:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_1

in the supfile and these changes are not pulled under that tag. How
does one approach that, set the tag to RELENG_6 which does grab
these. From the handbook it seems to recommend not moving forward
from a "RELEASE" for a production type of implementation. How does
one grab specific changes to a driver without actually cvsupping to
that entire revision or am I missing something really basic and I
should be using the RELENG_6 tag for my production servers? It really
looks like that's the version of the bge driver I should be using.

Thanks for all this input, it's pretty embarrassing to idle such a
cool server for 6 months ;-),
Chris