Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:28:20 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.co.za>
To:        gshapiro@gshapiro.net (Gregory Neil Shapiro)
Cc:        jhay@icomtek.co.za (John Hay), ume@mahoroba.org (Hajimu UMEMOTO), gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail updated from 8.9.3 to 8.11.0 in -current

> jhay> There is just an annoying message because of the anycast address:
>
> jhay> Aug 13 16:38:47 angel sendmail[11947]: gethostbyaddr(3ffe:2900:fffa:4::) failed: 1
>
> jhay> Is that because of a configuration error or just because sendmail needs
> jhay> to check for anycast addresses?
>
> sendmail tries to get the hostnames associated with all of it's interfaces
> to populate $=w (local host names).  The best fix would be to create an
> entry in DNS for that address.  Perhaps sendmail shouldn't bother warning
> on multicast addresses.  Can you see if this patch makes the error go away?

I tried your second patch, but it didn't make a difference. I'll take
the easy way out for now and add a DNS entry like you and ume suggested.
:-) I looked in ifconfig to see how they did the anycast detection and
you basically have to open another socket into the kernel (this time
an AF_INET6 one) and get the ipv6 flags and check them. Maybe too much
work, except if it is going to bother too many people. :-/

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za