Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:57:36 -0500
From:      Matt White <mjw@crypt-net.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maxtor 80GB problems

Hello:

I recently installed a Maxtor 80GB on a freebsd 4.2-stable box to serve as
a sort of dumping ground for random files.  This drive is not very happy.

During newfs, the kernel complains repeatedly of write timeouts.
Occaisionally, the kernel loses contact with the disk entirely (in those
instances I am forced to give up and restart the system).  During a fsck
operation, I get repeated HARD READ errors, along with a prompt as to
whether I want to continue.  Of course, it does me no good to continue
because fsck still sees the drive as dirty and thus won't mark it clean.

I've tried this drive on two different 4.2-stable boxes with different
controllers and cabling.  Occaisionally the drive makes unhappy noises.
Under windows the drive appears to be fine, but I haven't really stressed
this beyond the initial format and some time spent in scandisk.  Windows is
not amazingly forthcoming about errors.

I know this isn't the best problem description, but I'm hoping that it will
trigger someone's memory such that they may remember a similar problem.  If
I don't get a response, I'll file a formal PR with as much information as I
can gather later.

Please cc an responses to this email address.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt