Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:29:18 -0600
From:      "Greg Groth" <ggroth99@hotmail.com>
To:        Kirk.Davis@epsb.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems

>From: "Kirk Davis" <Kirk.Davis@epsb.ca>
>To: "Greg Groth" <ggroth99@hotmail.com>
>CC: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>Subject: RE: Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems
>Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:25:04 -0700
>
>Hi Greg,
>
> > I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD 6.0 box as a mail server, and while
> > everything seems to be working OK for the most part, I have
> > run into two
> > issues that I cannot resolve (I'm new to BSD, please bear
> > with me). Install
> > went as follows:  Installed via FTP last night along with
> > "src - Sources for
> > everything",
> >
> > IMAP-UW was compiled via ports with WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT
> > enabled (same for
> > cclient), OpenSSL, Cyrus-SASL2 & Cyrus-SASL2-saslauthd were
> > compiled via
> > ports with no flags.
> >
> > Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled
> > (after SASL2 was
> > up and running) with the following options added to make.conf:
> >
> > # SASL (cyrus-sasl v2) sendmail build flags...
> > SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
> > SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> > SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
> > # Adding to enable alternate port (smtps) for sendmail...
> > SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -D_FFR_SMTP_SSL
> >
> > I followed the instructions I found at
> > http://www.bsdconspiracy.net/howto/sendmail.html, and had no
> > problems with
> > the install except for Sendmail.  After recompiling sendmail,
> > I added the
> > following lines to the mail.server.mc file:
> >
> > define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
> > TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`PLAIN LOGIN')dnl
> > define(`CERT_DIR', `/etc/mail/certs')dnl
> > define(`confCACERT_PATH', `CERT_DIR')dnl
> > define(`confCACERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
> > define(`confSERVER_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
> > define(`confSERVER_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
> > define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `CERT_DIR/mycert.pem')dnl
> > define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `CERT_DIR/mykey.pem')dnl
> > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
>
>This is your problem.  The above line sets up the Sendmail daemon to
>listen on port 25 but the standard mc file distributed with FreeBSD also
>sets up a DAEMON port (it's at the end of the MC file).
>
>Here is what my DAEMON_OPTIONS lines look like.  These should be the
>only DAEMON_OPTIONS lines in the mc file.
>dnl Enable for both IPv4 and IPv6 (optional)
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6, Family=inet6, Modifiers=O')
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

That is what I was guessing, however I couldn't find a Sendmail for Dummies
book that could explain The DAEMON_OPTIONS in language I understand.  It's
very easy to get lost in the online docs and the O'Reilly book, for me
anyway.

> > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
> >
> > After running (in /etc/mail) "make clean", "make cf", "make
> > install", "make
> > restart", SMTP no longer works, and I find the following in
> > maillog and
> > messages
> >
> > Feb 12 20:25:55 mail sm-mta[1213]: daemon IPv4: problem
> > creating SMTP socket
> > Feb 12 20:26:00 mail sm-mta[1213]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> > opendaemonsocket:
> > daemon IPv4: cannot bind: Address already in use
> >
> > When I try and stop sendmail, I get a message that the pid
> > for Sendmail
> > cannot be found.  I end up killing the missing Sendmail daemon using
> > KSysGuard
> >
> > If I remove this line - "DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,
> > Name=MTA')dnl" from the
> > mail.server.mc file, make cf, make install, make restart,
> > sendmail starts
> > normally.  When trying to access from another machine on my
> > network, I can
> > only connect on port 25 without a secure connection (I'm
> > using Thunderbird
> > for this), although SMTP-AUTH is working correctly.
>
>Have you tried to setup your mail client to connect to port 465?  This
>is the smtps (SMTP SSL) port.

Yes I have.  The above mentioned How-To states to have MS products connect
on port 25, which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I tried both 25
and 465 using Thunderbird.  Thunderbird returned with a message that the
SMTP server was not accepting connections.  Now that I know what's wrong
with my MC file, I'm guessing I havge to take a stronger look at my
certificates and make sure that they're working correctly.  I might have a
path screwed up somewhere.  Seems that if it's listening on 465, everything
should be OK with Sendmail, but there might be a problem with SSL.

> > Any ideas on what I might need to do to get SSL / SMTP-AUTH
> > working on SMTP?
> >   I took a look at the instructions in the handbook, but they
> > were written
> > for SASL1.  Running netstat shows smtps listening on 465, but
> > when I try to
> > telnet to that port, the server drops the connection.
>
>Hmm... It should connect but you will not see anything since it is
>expecting an SSL connection.
>
> > My second problem is rather simple, after I create an IMAP
> > folder, I am
> > unable to delete it using a remote client.  Thunderbird
> > responds with "The
> > mail server responded: RENAME failed: Can't create mailbox node
> > /home/User/Trash/: File exists.  Nothing shows up in any of
> > the server logs
> > though.
>
>I have not seen this problem although I have it setup for an office of
>Outlook users.  I would check the permissions on the folders in the user
>home directory.  This is where the IMAP user forlders are by default.  I
>usually setup the clients to use the base imap if Mail and then create a
>Mail directory in the user home directory.  That way the mail folders
>don't get messed up with the user stuff.

I'm going to have to play around with this a bit more.  After thinking about
it, I have not tested deleting a directory through an IMAP connection, only
an IMAPS connection.  It's possible that I'm experiencing some kind of
problem there as well.  I will also take a look at the permissions, which I
have not done yet since I assumed that if I could create it, I should be
able to delete it, but we all know what happens when we assume things.

> > Hopefully this is the right list for these questions, if not,
> > could someone
> > please direct me to the correct one?  Any advice anyone can
> > give me on
> > either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.
> >

>---- Kirk
>Kirk Davis
>Senior Network Analyst, ITS
>Edmonton Public Schools
>1-780-429-8308

Many, many thanks on clearing up the Sendmail issue.

Greg Groth