Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:37:47 -0500
From:      Philip Juels <pjuels@rics.bwh.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

At the risk of getting flamed...someone somewhere in the Usenet universe
summed linux as "the most self-incompatible OS."   It's one of the
unfortunate side-effects of the myriad of different distributions.  And
a lot of work must be done to compile apps from source in linux if you
can't find an rpm bundle.  On the other hand, with BSD, when it comes to
"apps", BSD either can't do it at all or BSD does it VERY well...better
than just about any freely available OS.  Of course, that depends on
your definition of "apps".

That being said, I use both linux and BSD.  At home, I use BSD for
things like a firewall, website, fileserver, sendmail...common network
applications where I want stability and simplicity.  For "playing
around" I use linux...cause if I break it, I can re-install from CD/DVD
quickly.  So, at home I use BSD for "production" systems, but linux for
more "desktop" like stuff.

At work, its the opposite.  We use RHEL3 or 4 for production systems and
use Fedora and SuSE for desktop.  That's primarily because support comes
from an identifiable (call-able) source such as Redhat or Novell and
patching of the systems is easy.  Not to mention the hardware vendor
guarantee's compatibility (mention BSD to them and they look at you
funny).  Also, some commercial enterprise applications like Oracle
database don't run natively on BSD.  However, I do use the BSD's for
custom things like firewalls and utility systems (cd/dvd burning, etc).

--PJ