Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 1999 19:04:44 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Do we need GNU readline ??

I was building a library covered by the LGPL when I found this jewel
under readline/README:
_____________
This is a line-editing library.  It can be linked into almost any
program to provide command-line editing and recall.

It is call-compatible with the FSF readline library, but it is a
fraction of the size (and offers fewer features).  It does not use
standard I/O.  It is distributed under a "C News-like" copyright.
An earlier version was distributed with Byron's rc.  Principal
changes over that version include:
	Faster.
	Is eight-bit clean (thanks to brendan@cs.widener.edu)
	Written in K&R C, but ANSI compliant (gcc all warnings)
	Propagates EOF properly; rc trip test now passes
	Doesn't need or use or provide memmove.
	More robust
	Calling sequence changed to be compatible with readline.
	Test program, new manpage, better configuration
	More system-independant; includes Unix and OS-9 support.

Enjoy,
        Rich $alz
        <rsalz@osf.org>

 Copyright 1992 Simmule Turner and Rich Salz.  All rights reserved.

 This software is not subject to any license of the American Telephone
 and Telegraph Company or of the Regents of the University of
California.
 Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose on
 any computer system, and to alter it and redistribute it freely,
subject
 to the following restrictions:
 1. The authors are not responsible for the consequences of use of this
    software, no matter how awful, even if they arise from flaws in it.
 2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented, either by
    explicit claim or by omission.  Since few users ever read sources,
    credits must appear in the documentation.
 3. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
    misrepresented as being the original software.  Since few users
    ever read sources, credits must appear in the documentation.
 4. This notice may not be removed or altered.

____________
OTOH, from our "man readline":
COPYRIGHT
       Readline  is Copyright (C) 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996 by
       the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
BUGS
       It's too big and too slow.

So the question is: Do we really need the complete, bigger GPL'd version
or would it be good if I look for the older, smaller, but free version?

cheers,
	Pedro.