Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 17:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mdean <mdean@best.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this a bug, or just a feature.

> I don't understand how this could be "caught", since the value of
> manifest constant arithmatic is constant, and therefore computed
> at compile time.

If you wanted to catch this, i'd say apply the O_ACCMODE mask and look for
threes.

I thought that you could catch it when oflags are passed in for the open,
but I guess if a user wants to pass a 3, and exploit the side effect that
you get a non blocking file that is not read or write, I guess that is
their right. But for me since I must know whether they want to read or
write the device (in order to configure it) that is an error situation.
Just not one that you would expect to happen, but I guess it is ok.