Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2018 13:27:23 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lightly loaded system eats swap space

On 18/06/2018 09:08, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 23:19:02 +0100
> tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>
>> freebsd-11-stable r333874, ZFS raidz1-0 (3x4TB disks), 128GB RAM,
>> Swap: 4096M Total, 3502M Used, 594M Free, 85% Inuse
>
> this might not be related but I noticed that your swap space is small
> compared to RAM size. I noticed on a much smaller Raspberry Pi, that it
> runs into trouble when there is no swap even there is enough RAM
> available. Is it easily possible for you to add some GB of swap space
> and let the machine run then?
>
> How much swap do the other machines have?

Hi,

Yes, the machine with the problem uses the default 4GB swap. That's all
the swap it has. The machine without issue has a swapfile installed on a
SSD in addition to the default 4GB swap.

problematic machine:
Device          512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ada0p3        8388608     3.3G     714M    83%

machine without a problem, it has swapfile installed:
Device          512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ada0s1b       8262248     1.7G     2.2G    44%
/dev/md0          65536000     1.9G      29G     6%
Total             73798248     3.7G      32G    10%

I added the swapfile a long time ago on this machine due to the same issue.

But my problem isn't so much an out of swapspace problem; all this is,
is a symptom. My problem is "why is it swapping out at all on a 128GB
system and why is what's swapped out not being swapped back in again".

thanks,
--
J.