Date:      Sat, 30 May 2020 21:09:30 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sound problems.

On Fri, 29 May 2020 11:09:51 -0300, Mario Lobo wrote:
> The realtek mic doesn't work. I tried everything I could. The microphone
> sound goes out to the speakers, apps (firefox) detect a mic but its input
> doesn't go back into the system. So I wanted to switch the recording source
> pcm6, so:
>
> sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=6
>
> which yields this:
>
> mixer
> Mixer mic      is currently set to  95:95
>
> i.e., I won't be able to hear a damn thing, and applications won't detect a
> mic.

I had a comparable problem (not "mic not found", but "mic-through
can be heared, but it doesn't record anything, in no program").
The solution was to set the gain mixer channels (igain, ogain)
to 100, and then it worked; maybe 0...99 = off, 100 = on? ;-)

So maybe try setting all related channels to 100 first and then
see if you can reduce the level. In worst case, attach an external
hardware mixer to get better level control (which is what I'm doing
at the moment).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany