Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 16:43:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

Stephen McKay wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
 > [...]
 > The manual claims there is hardware SoundBlaster Pro support, and under
 > Windoze the usual ports and IRQ are used.  Does anybody know how to activate
 > this mode under FreeBSD?  I'm not after fancy surround sound with FreeBSD,
 > just a bit of background music from CDs or MP3s.

I'm sorry, but you could as well forget it.
The SB Pro supports only 8bit, 22kHz stereo (and 44kHz mono).
That's not really the quality you'd want for good music, I
guess.

If you buy a soundcard and want decent SB compatibility, be
sure that it is hardware compatible with at least an SB16.
That will also save your good old DOS games.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)