Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:34:35 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Filesystem allocation Recommendations.

Well, I learned the hard way that the default file
system set up with the "(A)utomatic" allocation was
not the most ideal for a mailserver :

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a       31775    23647     5586    81%    /
/dev/wd0s1f   1801823    66841  1590837     4%    /usr
/dev/wd0s1e     29727    13940    13409    51%    /var

Needless to say, /usr has been pretty unused and /var got
full a lot.  So, I'm going to set up a new FBSD machine
and move everything from the one above to the new one.
Since I really would like to only do this once, could I please
seek some advice from experience admins

1) My initial thoughts this time are to allocate :
    50 MB to /    (my current 81% utilisation seemed a bit too
                   close for comfort. i've had enough "root filesystem
                   full" errors on other platforms)
   150 MB to /usr (mail, httpd - and allowing for a few extras in future)
   1.7 GB to /var (ie. everything else in /var since it needs it for all
                   the mail accounts.)

    Is there any reason not to go with this ? (any better method from
    a maintenance standpoint)
    My only worry is that in the past, /var sometimes got full because
    of over enthusiastic logging (or when system errors were rife). It
    would be nice not to disrupt mail in such circumstances.

2) Transfering users - simply copy the /etc/passwd file and shadow passwd ?

3) If I remember correctly, on AIX, I could change the size of
   filesystems in realtime...  yes, even decreasing them. Is
   there no way to do this on FBSD ? (i fear that such a
   useful feature seems to be unique to AIX)

4) Do experienced users actually not allocate all of the space to
   filesystems on installation and then allocate on a needs basis,
   over the months/years ?

Thank you very much,

chas