Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:13:09 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Massimo Lusetti <mlusetti@gmail.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General thoughts on java@freebsd-8/amd64

Greg Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 09:47:55AM +0100, Massimo Lusetti wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would say at this point that there is unlikely to be one unless someone
>>> donates a substantial amount of money to the Foundation. ?The Diablo
>>> releases are pretty expensive. ?You can run the one for 7.0 with compat7x
>>> installed, with some limitations.
>> Would you mind to elaborate a little more about limitations you're
>> talking about?
>
> If you're trying to use an application that dynamically instantiates a JVM
> itself or uses its own JNI library rather than a pure Java application then
> you're likely to have trouble since you're mixing and matching code from
> different versions of the operating system.
>
>> What is your thinking about the best option to run java6 on FreeBSD
>> 8 right now?
>
> openjdk6.  It needs an update to b17 though.

Really?  Greg, I'm runnning the port labelled "jkd16", and with that as a base,
I've been running eclipse with great success, but I know I'm going to *have* to
upgrade sometime.  Could you please tell me what's the relationship between the
jdk16 port and openjdk?  I mean, is one of those in a somewhat parental
relationship with the other?  Are they related?  Will my experience with jdk16
have a good chance of being just as good with openjdk6?  I hope I'm not stupid
enough to ask you to "guarantee" that, but with everything else being equal, are
my chances good of this?