Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:25:59 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        miy <miyako@sakr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:26:11AM -0500, miy wrote:

> 	I am fairly new to freebsd, and I want to keep up to date with
> everything available. I am upgrading from 3.4 Stable to 4.0 and I am
> having some difficulty. I began by using CVSup in order to update the
> sources, and then I did the following:
>
>   cd /usr/src
>   make buildworld
>   cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
>   make install
>   cd /usr/src/sys/modules
>   make install
>   cd /usr/src
>
> This has all worked. Now as I try to configure my kernel
> /usr/sbin/conifg MYKERNEL
>
> I get the following error:
>
> config: can't open ../conf/devices.i386
>

> 	I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Look at the beginning of the 4.0-STABLE src/UPDATING:

: To build a kernel
: -----------------
: cd /usr/src
: # If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
: make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
: make installkernel  KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
: # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
: # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
: chflags noschg /kernel
: mv /kernel /kernel.old
: mv /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE /kernel