Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:16:11 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X xauth problems with DHCP- maybe FBSD settings issue

Rob,

My condolences on the loss of your @Home service. The old @Home node
names are not used by ATTBI, so the name you are specifying fails to
translate to an IP address and xauth gets upset.

The fix is probably to add the name of your system (and I would
strongly urge you to re-name it) to /etc/hosts. That seems to have
done the trick for me.

192.168.168.100         pikes.es.net pikes

You can create the unix socket because it is a truly a named socket
and there is no issue with associating it with an IP address. (Also,
note that there is no attbi.com name on my system. That was my choice
since ATTBI does not seem interested in properly configuring DNS.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)