Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:38:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        PROBLEMS@POMONA.EDU
Subject:   Problems with SWiM Motif for FreeBSD

Hi everyone -

        I recently got a copy of SWiM Motif for FreeBSD - but I have been having
some trouble.  First, the install script that SWiM used must have been for an
older version of FreeBSD, because it referenced directories that did not exist
with my vanilla 2.1.0-RELEASE.  Anyway, that is not really the problem.
        The REAL problem is that I get this error when trying to untar one of the
seven supplied floppies (1.44):

fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 216 of 216-235 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 4<sec_not_fnd>
ST2 0 cyl 6 hd 0 sec1)
tar: read error on /dev/rfd0: Input/output error

I'm assuming the floppy is corrupted.  Has anyone else had any problems with
SWiM Motif?  What is a recommendation for a good Motif for FreeBSD?  Is Motif
worth it?

And if the above error is not due to a bad disk, but some other fault, please
tell me before I write to the distributor asking for another diskette.  Thanks!

John