Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 03:45:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        jdp@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup build & swap

Ports people,
CC John Polstra

Just a success report making cvsup   with a vn kernel (for extra swap).

People with tons of swap can safely yawn & skip this posting :-)
Those tight on swap space may like to read on...

You'll recall /usr/ports/net/cvsup used to be difficult to build as it
gobles swap (used to abort for me, with 16M RAM & 2 * 32M swap partitions
& X-11 & EXMH & ghostview & nfs etc running ...
Well I now run a kernel including
	pseudo-device   vn
& created a 40M file to use spare space on my mounted dos file system,
then used it with
	vnconfig /dev/vn0b /dos1/tmp/swap
	swapon  /dev/vn0b
& cvsup make ran fine, just took a while, (while I was out, so don't
know what high point of swap usage was achieved).

I noticed it was a new cvsup version (13.4) I'd previously tried making
some earlier version.

My kernel & binaries are from CVS src Sep-1 (with share/mk Sep-15)

After I had
  Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
  /dev/sd0s2b     32768     7992    24712    24%    Interleaved
  /dev/sd2s2b     32768     7680    25024    23%    Interleaved
  /dev/??         39578     3284    36230     8%    Interleaved

Only problem is I suspect running a swap on a DOS FS may not be a bright
idea for long term performance stability etc,
so I wwant to reboot to drop the /dev/vn0b,
but I've got to wait, cos this box is nfs serving src for another box
that's running a _very_ slow make world (& has been for 2 days or so
(slow box, I have to check into that)),
... hence  I can't give a report on `current' vn etc,
but at least cvsup make swap requirement seems to be surmountable,
without permanently reconfiging disc allocations :-)

Julian
---
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org		http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/