Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:56:19 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Axel S. Gruner" <grunix@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: software raid on freebsd5

--tT3UgwmDxwvOMqfu

On Tuesday, 29 April 2003 at 18:44:51 +0200, Axel S. Gruner wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I want to use software raid 5 on my freebsd 5 box.  So, i am running
> freebsd 5 for a while, and have a lot of ports installed, and i dont
> want to erase all the stuff, is there a way to setup vinum or
> raidctl on that box?

You can't change an existing linear partition to RAID-5 and keep the
data.

> i have 3 harddrives installed, 2 of them are totally clean, 1 is
> running FreeBSD.  And, is it possible in the future, to put on or
> two more devices to that raid?

With a lot of trickery, you could do that, but you'd be better off
borrowing a fourth disk to copy the data to, and then move the
contents of one of them back to the first disk after you've copied the
data.

Greg

--tT3UgwmDxwvOMqfu

--tT3UgwmDxwvOMqfu--