Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2018 20:09:37 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        deb@freebsdfoundation.org, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem

Bryan Drewery wrote:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
> --oex5zYNtdOsHH7CGnZTm2mPFhuBKYldVo
> From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
> To: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, deb@freebsdfoundation.org
> Cc: freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem
>
> --YJ0tBWvLQToy5jfzJdV74lsXFyKkOJvV1
>
> On 3/4/2018 5:13 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > deb@freebsdfoundation.org wrote:
> >> Hi David,
> >>
> >> This is Deb Goodkin, Executive Director for the FreeBSD Foundation. Th=
> >> Foundation isn't responsible for the CoC, that would be the FreeBSD
> >> Project's core team. Please don't spread mis-information about the
> >> Foundation censoring discussions. Someone else on this thread can hope=
> fully
> >> direct you to the correct mailing list for discussing your concerns
> >> regarding the Code of Conduct.=20
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> Deb Goodkin
> >> Executive Director
> >> The FreeBSD Foundation
> >=20
> > Hi Deb,
> > Did the foundation pay for it ?=20
>
> The discussion needs to not demonize people or entities involved on
> either side.

FreeBSD are at liberty to reject a non FreeBSD outsider who wrote this
especially if they were paid to write it, even more so if the paid
outsider hopes rules she/he wrote they'd like to see imposed on us.

> It seems to me that it would have been better had this CoC
> had more outside review and possibly a draft period where the project
> asked for community feedback.

** A draft & period for comment should have been mandatory,
omiting it suggests arrogance or incompetence.

> IMHO it's not too late to go down those
> paths but we need to take a deep breath and consider that the intentions
> of the CoC are only good;

Maybe, or not,  See ** above.

> that the project should be more welcoming for
> everyone.  There's nothing wrong with the Foundation sponsoring a CoC,
> even if it had flaws.

I think legaly Foundation is not answerable to FreeBSD just to the
few who founded the foundation.  Nothing wrong with FreeBSD rejecting
an unwanted gift as incompetent waste of money - if they want.

> It likely would need to help sponsor independent
> reviews to weed out unneutral language.

Whoever sprung this on FreeBSD community without warning should be admonished.

FreeBSD Foundation could ask for a refund from the incompetent who
wrote it, & Foundation in turn could refund those such as the person
who asked "Can I have a refund".

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit Referendum stole 3,700,000 votes, inc. 700,000 from British in EU.