Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 16:15:29 +0800
From:      Breaker <breaker@webchat.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring PPP

Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Breaker wrote:
>
> >       I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE and I'm having some trouble
> > getting PPP working. I've tried setting it up a variety of different
> > ways, but whenever I type "term" the computer crashes and has to be
> > manually restarted. I assumed this was a problem with PPP but someone
> > just said term will crash if it can't speak to your modem correctly.
> >
> >       I was wondering if you'd be able to show me what to type so that my
> > modem will be recognized by FreeBSD. My modem is a Netcomm Roadster II
> > 56 Ultra SVD, and Windows95 reports it running on COM Port 3.
>
> Check your cabling.  The system isn't crashing, flow control appears to be
> stuck on.

	Cabling? As in, the cable that connects the modem to the computer? I'd
seriously doubt this would cause the problem. Anyhow, all the cabling is
tight and screwed in. The modem works flawlessly under Windows.

	What I was actually after was the series of "set" commands that you
would reccomend.

	If you'd like some more information that may be of some help:

	ISP Information:

	o NameServer 1 : 139.134.2.2
	o NameServer 2 : 139.134.2.18

	o Gateway :      139.134.39.2

	I read all of the applicable information the manpages had on PPP, and
tried their reccommended settings without success.

	On a different note, is there anyway to adjust the devices compiled in
FreeBSD's kernel? The 2.2.7-RELEASE Kernel Setup crashed/froze whenever
I tried to edit *any* of the devices, so now when I boot up FreeBSD
spends a heck of a long time searching/probing for device drivers that
don't exist.

	There's also a few device conflicts reported at startup, which could be
the cause of the "term" related problem. ie; there's a conflict with the
modem port.

	Finally, is there anyway to probe the /dev/cuaa* devices to see if a
modem can be found the other end? I currently have no idea as to the COM
port it would be occupying in FreeBSD's kernel.

	Thanks in advance,

	Trent.

--
	Breaker : Trent Nelson : breaker@webchat.org