Date:      Mon, 7 May 2007 14:21:48 +0400
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody running VLANs over tl(4) or nve(4)?

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 03:51:18PM +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> There two network interface drivers that have uncertain VLAN_MTU
> support status, namely nve(4) and tl(4).  The nve(4) driver has a
> sign of unfinished VLAN_MTU support in it as it forgets to set the
> respective bit in if_capenable; and tl(4) was told to support long
> frames, but its driver doesn't indicate that capability at all.
>
> Therefore I'd appreciate reports of successfully running VLANs over
> nve(4) or tl(4) with an MTU of 1500 bytes on the vlan(4) interfaces.
>
> Attached are trivial patches that add correct and complete indication
> of VLAN_MTU support to the two drivers. [...]

Status report:

nve(4) can handle long frames (thanks to Pyun YongHyeon for testing it),
so now the driver sets the respective bit in if_capenable.

tl(4) remains a grey area.  If somebody needs to run VLANs over
tl(4) and makes sure it can handle long frames in default mode (at
least rumours say so), I'll be glad to reflect that capability in
the driver.

--
Yar