Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:35:31 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        erich alfred heine <eheine@students.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2 kernel compile error

erich alfred heine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently cvsuped to 4_stable (which i understand is now 4.2) anyway
> after building and installing, and updating stuff, im trying to recompile
> my kernel, and during buildkernel i get a bunch of errors.  They are all
> along the lines of:
>
> umass.o: In function 'umass_cam_action'
> umass.o(.text+0x1456): undefined reference to 'xpt_create_path'
> umass.o(.text+0x1477): undefined reference to 'xpt_async'
> umass.o(.text+0x147f): undefined reference to 'xpt_free_path'
>
> All of the errors are in umass.o, and have xpt_* in them.
>
> Im including a copy of my config file.  I dont understand what i am doing
> wrong. I looked in LINT to see if anything had changed, but i dont think
> it has.

<snip>

> # SCSI peripherals
> #device         scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
> #device         da              # Direct Access (disks)
> #device         sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> #device         cd              # CD
> #device         pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
<snip>
> # USB support
> #device         uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> #device         ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> device          ugen            # Generic
> device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
> device          ukbd            # Keyboard
> device          ulpt            # Printer
> device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

You apparently didn't read the above line on umass, where it states
that scbus and da are required. You have them commented out in the
scsi sections above. There may be more to it than that but adding
scbus and da would be a start.

Kent

> device          ums             # Mouse
> device          uscanner        # Scanners
> # USB Ethernet, requires mii
> #device         aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
> #device         cue             # CATC USB ethernet
> #device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
> #sound stuff
> device          pcm
> device          sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq1 flags 0x15

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com