Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2016 14:45:00 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, avg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X2APIC support

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 02:27:24PM +0300, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 03:35:13PM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 04:06:15PM +0300, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> > > Does STABLE support X2APIC?
> > > I see X2APIC related commits in CURRENT, what is status for STABLE?
> > > I am try to enable X2APIC support on X10DRi and see kernel trap on
> > > boot.
> >
> > x2APIC is only supported in HEAD.  The code to parse processor x2APIC
> > structures in MADT was committed, but AFAIK never tested on real hardware.
> >
> > There are no plans to merge this to stable/10.
>
> I am try now on real hardware and got kernel fault at boot when set in
> BIOS X2APIC_OPT_OUT Flag to [Enable].
> https://s9.postimg.org/6mt8bu21b/fault2.jpg
How do you know that the issue is due to that flag ? I doubt that BIOS
would provide direct knob to manage that flag, since requesting that
out-out only makes sense if BIOS is unable to handle x2APIC mode, e.g.
in SMI handlers.  How precisely the BIOS setting called which you frobbed ?

Show complete verbose dmesg from the first line to backtrace.

> 0xffffffff80537e74 is /usr/src/sys/kern/subr_smp.c:959
And this is a topology probe code, which should not be affected by the
x2APIC mode at all, except possibly due to longer format of the APIC IDs.

I added Andrey to Cc:, he might give some more guidance.