Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 11:13:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 950622-SNAP installation woes

Christoph P. Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> Today I did my first 2.0.5 installation again in some weeks of 'abstinence'
> and got some pitfall right away:

> The installation script warned me that I had a read-only root device
> and that it may not find some /dev entries later.

Aigh! FAQ 8)  Mark / and /usr in the partition editor as 'y' for newfsing.

> and after saying I had no name server and gateway the script choked
> when saying that mount on 100.0.0.119:/home/2.0.5-950622-SNAP  /nfs
> could not be found, where I don't know whether it was /nfs that could
> not be created or wasn't there or if it was the host/path that could
> not be found.

Couldn't be found; readonly /

> I'm trying now already for four ours to get a kernel on that damn box
> but with these hyperintelligent scripts - your work in all honors, Jordan -
> it's nearly impossible to do an enforced installation if something
> strange occurs. It's not even possible to shell out at this point
> and do the ftp or mount manually.

Can't shell out coz there's no shell 8)

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[