Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:52:28 +0200
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@mullet.se>
To:        beemern@ksu.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux/freebsd kernel differences

beemern@ksu.edu wrote:
> we're building a new nfs server for our entire dept, and i suggested using
> fbsd, however, an opponent put forth linux and said that:

The NFS implementation in FreeBSD is regarded to be better if your
clients are not only Linux boxes.

> "there is no difference between linux and freebsd kernels, except that
> linux has much better driver support.. WHY use obscure freebsd?"

That is complete BS, the kernels are not similar at all. And besides
that, what better driver are there in Linux that you actually need for
the NFS server? Linux have better drivers for things like scanners,
cameras, joysticks etc. The drivers in FreeBSD for sever thingies are
top-notch.

Just be careful with which machine you buy. I recommend buying from a
dealer that knows about the OS you are going to run on the box so you
get a system with components that know to perform well for your intended
use.

> anyone got any ammo i can use here? i'd really rather use fbsd since i'm
> much more familar with it and its never let me down

If you are the one that is going to take care of the box the above is
your best ammo. If you already know something and are happy with it why
change?

--
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malmö, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin@mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170, http://www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimized for FreeBSD and Linux.