Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:06:58 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Kirill Ponomarew <krion@voodoo.oberon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:53:23AM +0100, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:47:32AM +0100, Holger Kipp wrote:
> > > I'm fine with this plan for 6-CURRENT.  For 5-STABLE, it's a major
> > > user-visible change, and that is something that we promised to avoid
> > > with stable branches.
> >
> > It violates POLA on 5-STABLE, and it will violate POLA on 6-CURRENT,
> > especially as most perl programmers assume /usr/bin/perl to be the
> > correct path.
>
> If it's linux tradition to put perl in this path, perl programmers
> should assume another path on FreeBSD, so it isn't an argument for
> the proposed change.

Long before I ever saw FreeBSD or Linux, there were symlinks on the
AIX, SunOS and Solaris machines from /usr/bin/perl pointing to the
right executables.

It's not a Linux-ism, it's like what somebody already pointed out,
best practice for Perl.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org