Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 00:34:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ma64 + stable + X causes reboot

   I recently upgraded my personal box here to -stable from 2.1.0-RELEASE.
The machine is a P100, IDE (I know, I know. :), 64Mb ram, ATI Mach64
video card.

   I can run X -probeonly without ill effects, but the minute I actually
attempt to 'startx', the screen blanks, the system thinks for a minute,
the screen goes in to power saver mode, and the system falls flat on its
face and reboots itself.  Obviously, I didn't have any problems under
-release.  I'm using the same kernel configuration file as I was before;
the only thing that has changed was a 'make world'.  It's 3.1.2E of the
Mach64 X server.

   Any suggestions from the X gurus out there?  As much as I love
text-only... it's rather irksome, to say the least.  The rest of the
system is functioning perfectly, of course.  Just not X.

    -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)