Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:29:34 -0500
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, kxorrao <luizbcampos@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine on FBSD-7.0 amd64. Does it run?

> The wine port only works on i386:
>
> # grep ARCHS /usr/ports/emulators/wine/Makefile
> ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386
>
> If I understood correctly, the problem is that wine is a 32-bit
> program. See http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit
>
> It would need 32-bit versions of all the libraries that it uses. The
> FreeBSD ports system doesn't currently isn't equipped to handle
> this. Not that this would be impossible, but nobody has bothered.

I know that is must be possible, 64bit Linux's run 32bit wine apps.

Gentoo Linux and OpenSuse amd64 editions, work with wine
I use one of these two to Play World of Warcraft on my notebook.

I Would use FreeBSD but suspend resume on i386 has issues, and
no 64bit nvidia, so I am stuck with Linux on my Laptop for the moment.

Sam Fourman Jr.