Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:46:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Miklos Magyari <magyari@freemail.hu>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.org, Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org, Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: localized man pages

hi,

> we must be able to do this with our groff 1.19.2, too. I'm not sure how
> to adjust man(1) to do it automatically, though. Miklos, the guy, who
> volunteered to do some translation work on the manpages also claimed
> that he could see the translated manpages properly by using latin1 encoding
> instead of ascii.

I've took a quick look in man's source.
There is a static struct called ltable at line 99 of

/usr/src/gnu/usr/bin/man/man/man.c

I've added a new entry:

"ISO8859-2", "latin1"

to prevent using ascii for rendering man pages when this codepage is set.
With this change compiled & installed, man renders Hungarian man pages put under /usr/share/man/hu.ISO8859-2 like a charm, all special characters (both lower and upper case) are shown correctly (assuming hu_HU.ISO8859-2 locale is set). This is because latin1 is used and the output is not filtered through 'col'.

Of course I don't know if this small change breaks anything, but at least it makes Hungarian man pages working.

cheers,
mami