Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 00:54:25 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TP560C Video Revisited

> >> I now have my TP560C working at 800x600 on the external monitor.  For the
> >> record, the modelines are:
> >
> >Why was it so hard?  Didn't XF86Setup give you a working VESA modeline
> >straight up?
>
> I don't have XF86Setup.  I installed over a sllloooowww FTP link so I only
> grabbed the base distribution, and then installed the XF86 port later.  No
> Tcl in the tree at that time, so I didn't bother with it.

It comes with its own Tcl.  XF86Setup is *the* most important thing to
get if you are installing X.

> >You still haven't answered regarding which 589s you're using and having
> >trouble with.  Does the light on the pod keep working?  Have you tried
> >swapping to see if its a card or system problem?
>
> D'oh, the cards are 3C589Ds.  Both laptops (TP560Cs) and cards and modems
> were purchased at the same time, so presumably would both act the same.
> Since last time, I've been able to replicate this network death on both
> machines, using both cards...and my laptop worked fine in my office on the
> west coast.  I'm just beyond confused by all this now.

What differences are there with the two networks?  Is the current
network perhaps noisier?  Is it possible that the card is losing its
brain (as with the recently-discussed Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B
problem) due to network garbage?

> >> [what's this -trailers about?]
>
> >Ethernet trailers are dinosaur droppings, and support for them was
> >removed some time back.  If you have an interface address and netmask
> >the broadcast address can be automatically calculated; you'd only want
> >to change it if you're talking to older Sun (eg.) systems.
>
> Hmmm, OK.  We do have some fairly old suns here, but they should cause my
> network card to wedge, I'd think.  I haven't yet even tried talking to
> them.

This has nothing to do with network adapters wedging; old SunOS
versions used all-bits-zero as the broadcast address rather than
all-bits-one.

mike