Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:14:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        jobaldwi@vt.edu, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au, jobaldwi@smtp4.erols.com
Subject:   Re: Wine breakage...

> That's 344 Meg, not Kilobytes..  I have asmem running in my toolbar, and when I
> start wine up, I just watch my swap progress from 80% free or so down until it
> gets to 10% free at which point I kill it.  I'm just using XFree 3.3.3.1 with
> the SVGA server, if that was broken I would think a lot more people would be
> complaining.

 Oops - you're right - (sorry - I guess its too early in the morning; :-) )

 In situations like this, I've done the following (which takes advantage
 of the fact that it takes just a few seconds to fill up all the swap...)

   1) Run big-monster-swap-consuming program

   2) Get its PID

   3) Get it to start consuming swap.

   4) Kill it in such a way that it dumps core.

   5) Run gdb on the program and the core image to get a traceback
       and see where it is.... (often, there is a loop allocating
       memory over-and-over which is easy to find.)

 This quick approach has worked for me in the past...

	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. you're right - why wasn't Wine the one killed?