Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:44:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Beiter <jwb@xioa.cosmic.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plug and Play naivety

My BIOs also claims to support plug and play. In Freebsd (2.2.2-R) I have
set the sound card (soundblaster 16) to the same settings Windoze 95 picked
up but the Kernel still can't find the card.

I was going to seek out this beta driver until I saw Janice's posting. What
is my recourse? Do without the sound card or find another OS?

I'm already "doing without" PPP due to an obscure problem between pppd and
a particular release of Bay code.

I'm using Award BIOs with PCI/PnP support.. Soundblaster 16 PnP card. Micky-
soft works great with the card. FreeBSD can't even see it. There doesn't
even seem to be a way to turn off the PnP on the sound card.

Janice McLaughlin <janus@freegate.net> wrote:
]A search of the archives shows me that at least I'm not alone
]in my problems with PnP. I have also downloaded the latest code
]from Sujal Patel on freefall.freebsd.org for PnP support.
]
]1. mail from Sujal notes that "if your motherboard supports PnP
]devices, then you don't need this code". What does this mean?
]I've been told that the BIOS on the machine I'm using has
]"Plug and Play" support ... does this mean it's possible that the
]BIOS has queried the ISA devices on boot and already has all the
]config info? Can I get at this somehow from the kernel? Or is this
]only referring to PCI kind of Plug and Play?

Joseph Beiter                  Hacking's just another word for nothing
jwb@cosmic.org                 left to kludge.