Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:40:14 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?77+9?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Tarc <tarc@tarc.po.cs.msu.su>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT crashes on compilling

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Tarc <tarc@tarc.po.cs.msu.su> writes:
>
>>On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:17:10PM +0200, Dag-Erling SmЬrgrav wrote:
>>
>>>Bad hardware - most likely bad RAM, possibly a bad CPU.
>>
>>Hmm... I thinked about this, but RAM is ok.

Side note, I could not have a look at your config/dmesg etc.
tarc.po.cs.msu.su could not be found.

> How do you know?  Most software memory testers don't load the system
> enough to trip over marginal RAM; 'make buildworld' does.

Yeah, buildkernel and buildworld are good stress tests. The same as a
gcc bootstrap is.

>>How test processor?
>

> 'make buildworld' with known-good RAM is a pretty good indicator.

Here my side note 2, it's not on x86, but on ppc. I have a powerbook
with one GB of ram. Doing buildworld and buildkernel ended up in such
sig 11 failures at random places. Not reproducable.

I know my hw is ok, I do daily gcc bootstraps and the machine works. But
under fbsd ppc I got the above sig 11 issues. A short talk with Peter
Grehan made me try to reduce the physical memory software side with
hw.physmem=512M. Bingo, that was it. I could do buildkernel and
buildworld with hw.physmem=512M. No problem. So, our thinking is, that
there is a trouble with physical mem > 512/640MB on fbsd ppc.

This note may not help in your case since it is on ppc fbsd. But maybe
it gives you another idea?

Regards,
Andreas