Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 13:15:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@gns.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-tags (naming conventions)

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:

> 	I never quite right understood the naming convention -stable?
> 	The cvsup files say that 2.1.0-RELENG is the -stable. By cvsuping -stable
> over my 2.2.2R, it did erase lots of files, notably /etc/rc.conf. I found
> this quite annoying.
> 	My concern is this. I need to run stable servers and I can't spare the
> time to be running -current give-it-a-shot servers. I need
> most-recent-release plus patches. Is the -stable branch the one I need?

One, there are two -stables, one for the 2.1 branch and anothe for 2.2.
You probably fetched the 2.1-STABLE branch.

why it hosed rc.conf is beyond me -- it _shouldn't_ touch anything unless
you misconfigured it.  Note that CVSup is going to give you CVS trees
unless you ask for checkout mode, then you get source.

I think you're after 2.2-STABLE, which is based on 2.2.2.  The Handbook
should be fairly current as to which tags you're after.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo