Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:24:59 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Alvin Sim <bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing port(s) from an NFS server

Alvin Sim schrieb:

> Hello list,
>
>    i  dont  know  wether  this  has  already  been  asked but i'm asking
>    anyways :)
>
>    i  have 2 machines running freebsd 4.3-RC with nfs and i came  upon a
>    situation whereby i want to install a port that was already installed
>    on the server.
>
>    i am currently on a dialup and i see it hard for me to be downloading
>    and updating the whole ports collection on both of the machines.
>
>    example:
>    lets  assume  that i have installed vim on the server and now, i want
>    vim on the client as well.

Assuming your NFS is properly configured:
client# mount server:/usr/ports /usr/ports
client# cd /usr/ports/editors/vim
client# make install

>    i   tried (after mounting /usr/ports (server) to /usr/ports (client))
>    `make'  in  /usr/ports/editors/vim-lite  but  it seems that `make' is
>    making  it on the server which, IMO, should be on the client? i didnt
>    try  `make  install' though. i was afraid that it would install (vim)
>    again on the server.

No. You mounted the hard disk from your server. Thus the build will
execute on your client and install into your client.

>    so  what  i'd like to know is that is it possible for me to install a
>    port from the server to the client machine with nfs?

As shown above: yes. It's too simple to be true.

HTH
-Christoph Sold