Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:22:30 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Gilad Rom <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CVSup supfiles for newbies (was Re: Graphical Desktop for FreeBSD.)

[ OFF-TOPIC, replies to -chat ]

On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:15:55 GMT, Gilad Rom wrote:

> CVSup does not have a GUI in that sense, it is merely a simple status
> display, And since I know how much trouble newbies are having with
> supfiles and selection, a small configuration tool with help and such
> will greatly reduce the number of people with difficulties.

Hi Gilad,

Perhaps you aren't aware that the FreeBSD base system actually includes
some supfile samples for your newbies? Have a look at the supfiles in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ and consider pointing your newbies at those,
perhaps in conjunction with the easy-to-read CVSup manpage, cvsup(1).

The danger of a point-drool-click interface that sets up configuration
files, is that the user of said interface is encouraged to use the
associated applications without understanding their operation. This is a
bad thing when it comes to things like CVSup. Should you really be
encouraging someone who doesn't understand CVSup (or whichever update
tool he or she uses) to build world?

Ciao,
Sheldon.