Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 02:08:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new zero copy sockets patches available

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Kenneth D. Merry <ken@kdm.org> [020517 23:31] wrote:
> > The problem here is that the mutex needs to be initialized before I can
> > acquire it, and there's going to be a race between checking to see
> > whether it has been initialized and actually initializing it.

> > Suggestions?
>
> *slaps forhead*
>
> Probably a SYSINIT?

God, it's annoying that a statically declared mutex is not
defacto initialized.

Yeah, I understand the "witness" crap (if it's there); that
doesn't make it any less annoying.

Actually, a linker set (not a SYSINIT) could fix that... you
would still need one sysinit to do the linkage of the statically
declared structures, but it's at least doable.

-- Terry