Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:44:11 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 on 4-Stable buildworld; bad memory or what?

Shawn Barnhart wrote:

> [...]

I overclocked a Celeron 300a and it wouldn't signal 11 but hang in the
middle of building XFree86 3.3.4. I pulled the heat sink off and it
had melted the thermal tape. Make sure you don't have overheating but
replacing a stick (or pair) of memory may be your first choice. I was
using 64MB SDRAM and had several spares. That didn't change anything
and that is when the heatsink came off. The Celeron 300a died
completely shortly after that. Good cooling was too late.

Kent

> ---
>
> The postscript to this story is I ran memtest86 (after getting the
> suggestion from here) overnight and it reported errors in my RAM.  Replaced
> with a fresh stick of RAM and all is well.
>
> (As an aside, I was checking for info on my board, an Asus TXP4, on USENET
> and supposedly it will do an unadvertised 75 and 83Mhz FSB.  Anyone know how
> overclockable K6-233 CPUs are?)

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg